Saturday, October 17, 2009

why am i not a big fan of fancy weddings?







This is not to mock A’s delaying tactics in exchanging ‘I dos’ fueled by his fear of me sending his happy bachelorhood into a crashing halt. Believe me, I haven’t programmed my married life slapping whoever ended married with me with a marriage certificate signed by 15 pairs of sponsors when he wants his basketball and airsoft sessions uninterrupted with a demand of a can of formula milk. As long as I won’t be called home immediately when a diaper needs to be changed while I am on a night out drinking Heineken on rare occasions, I believe our union is bound to be a jolly ride.

I won’t even require a theatrical ensemble complete with Loboc’s Children’s Choir singing in the background as one pops the questions. And I have trusted best girl friends, I don’t need a diamond to power up my self-esteem.


Why am I not a Big Fan of Fancy Weddings? Because----

- We’re not royalties, not even politicians, what is the 1,000 pax buffet for?

- I don’t have the luxury of time preparing a complete production number for a traditional 2-day event complete with dancing waltz while wearing 20-meters of lace. It’s just too tiring and… completely unnecessary…

- I’ve already ran out single girlfriends, and I can’t imagine their ‘mini-mes’ standing with me when I have the wedding photographs.

- With my relationship to the half of the clan buried along with my adoptive mom, I’m not expecting half of the town witnessing my wedding vows taking place.

- Because I’m realistic enough for the two of us.


- After all, it’s the marriage that is important and not the wedding.



originally posted: august 30, 2008

24 comments:

  1. I like this idea: It’s the marriage that is important and not the wedding.
    Most girls dream of a perfect wedding like a princess and a prince exchanging I dos. We can't really deny the fact of thinking an elegant wedding though. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a different point of view here.... most ladies would dream their most memorable day in a wedding...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have a big wedding but the people who mattered in our lives were there and it was all that matters

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's true, sometimes people get drawn with the ceremony that they miss out on the marriage. Like spending lavishly on a wedding when you can use that to start a life together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True I agree with you..and realistic enough to be caught with all that stress..whew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 100% AGREE. Hahahaha. We have same sentiments sis. THE MARRIAGE is more important not the wedding itself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same here, I'm not also a big fan of a fancy wedding. It's all about love, understanding and trust between you and your partner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's the marriage that counts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always dreamt about getting a fancy wedding -- but being on the practical side of things, I don't think it's realistic anymore to go through a big wedding when considering very big matters (big family, big expense, etc). At the end of the day, getting married to the one you love is what really matters..

    ReplyDelete
  10. What if your husband to be and his family want a grand wedding, would you refuse? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love how you said that you're realistic enough… its very true, in this life of hardships specially not all of us are very over fortunate why would you spend the time doing all this things. hehe My house wedding lasted for only 30 minutes haha! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. a perspective to promote especially when wedding have been so much commercialized, although it gives job, but such a bother to those who have to pay for it... yet I know some women friends would still want to have their wedding something to be remembered...

    ReplyDelete
  13. no longer required and too impractical for these days to have an expensive wedding .... wedding is the union of two hearts and that what matter most..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this statement:

    "I’ve already ran out single girlfriends, and I can’t imagine their ‘mini-mes’ standing with me when I have the wedding photographs."

    Grand wedding is not in my wishlist either. I'm married civilly for almost 18 years and had our simple church wedding, July of 1998 with no entourage and reception... just a little celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We all dream of our perfect wedding! Yes, it is the marriage that's more important. Weddings however, mark the beginning of a new life together. So to all the single ladies, take time to plan with your special someone; and do save for the wedding of your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If only fancy wedding is an assurance that marriage will not fail, there would not be too many broken homes nowadays. I agree that it's the marriage that counts and not the wedding. But if I have the money to splurge, why not :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's ok to spend a little in a wedding. true, marriage is important not the wedding. it's annoying sometimes that women prefer to have their wedding so grand they forget it true essence.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wanted a memorable wedding and I got it. It wasn't extravagant but it was more than I've ever dreamed of. It took us a month to prepare for a wedding that would start a lifetime of marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  19. same here, I married twice and both of them are simple.in fact , i did not wear wedding gowns. like you said, it’s the marriage that is important and not the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're practical. What's in a grand wedding when everything turns to a desperate way of living in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A simple but memorable wedding is way better than those lavish affairs. I had a friend's daughter have her wedding in a farm and they did not even have gowns made. It was very casual, the only requirement is for the entourage to wear converse shoes or sneakers. It was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. your third reasons really funny but realistic... lol. what matters the marriage ceremony and not the desperate move to impress others... unless you have plenty of cash to waste... Yahweh bless.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have the reasons. I love having marriage ceremony, party or programs I just do not want exaggerated wedding preparations like the fancy wedding which are too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Agree that marriage is important and not the wedding! A simple wedding is okay for me, as long as my loved ones are there to witness the start of another chapter in my life. Though as of now, I don't think much about weddings 'coz I don't even have a BF now. hoho. :)

    ReplyDelete

dipped